I did none of what is described in Haynes.
Firstly to correct he leak I honed out the cylinder with honed stones, then installed a 5 dollar seal kit.
Then I opened the bleeder, ran a hose off it, into a jar with some brake fluid in the bottom of it, to seal the end of the hose, and stop air coming up the hose. Topped off the reservoir, then pump the clutch to the bottom, then 3 short strokes, then let it come up. Then check the fluid, and top off again, the repeat 2 more times. Then close the bleeder. This worked well for me. One person, no screwdriver. No eight arms.
You might want to think about getting your old slave cylinder sleeved in stainless steel, or brass. A sleeved cylinder is better than a non sleeved new one.